Paxman Diesels in Australia

Much of the information on this page was supplied by the late Tony Marvin of Richmond, NSW. Tony worked for Ruston & Hornsby (which then held the controlling interest in Paxman) during the Second World War. After the war he emigrated to Australia where for many years he was a Ruston-Paxman Service Engineer. He worked on several of the engines listed below.

The page lists some of the Paxman Heavy-Fuel-Oil engines and later diesels sold into the Australian market. The listing is interesting for the insight it gives into the numbers, types, and applications of engines exported to Australia, particularly in the post-war period. The range of applications, from naval/marine to industrial and rail traction is fairly typical for Paxman engines.

Engines marked with an asterisk in the following tables are known to have been sold out of Ruston & Hornsby's Sydney office.

Vertical Heavy-Fuel-Oil Engines

For a history and description of this type see the page Heavy-Fuel-Oil Engines. Orders for Paxman Heavy-Fuel-Oil Engines sent to Australia included the following:

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/End UserLocation/Notes
4 VH22795Blackstone & Co for G Co
Ordered 07 Dec 1927
Melbourne. Sent 02 Mar 1928.
Carries Blackstone nameplate. For many years this engine was owned by the Timms family in Australia. In 2009 it was acquired by Stephen Hendrie and is now at Christchurch, New Zealand, where Stephen plans to restore it to running order.
2 VF22854Blackstone & Co, Australia
Ordered 09 Feb 1928
Sent 30 Apr 1928.
3 VH22914Noyes Brothers, Sydney
Ordered 13 Apr 1928
Marrickville Pumping Station.
Sent 20 Jun 1928.
4 VKE23321Chapman, Son & Deeks
for Port Lincoln Freezing Works
Port Lincoln, S.A.
Sent 23 Nov 1929.
5 VH23346AGE Ltd / Noyes Brothers, Sydney for Geadstone.
Ordered 24 Jul 1929
Sent 31 Dec 1929.
4 VKE23501Chapman, Son & Deeks / Clutterbuck Brothers
for Port Lincoln Freezing Works
Port Lincoln, S.A.
Sent 3 Jul 1930.
Order was for engine and alternator.
4 VHE23548AGE Ltd / Noyes Brothers, Sydney for Wide Bay Co-op.
Ordered 22 Apr 1930.
Sent 15 Jul 1930
4 VKE23549Sent 26 Jun 1930
4 VKE23617AGE Ltd / Noyes Brothers, Sydney for Norco Co-op.
Ordered 20 Jun 1930
Lismore Butter Factory
Sent 05 Sep 1930.
3 VHE23619AGE Ltd / Noyes Brothers, Sydney for Lismore Butter Factory
Ordered 20 Jun 1930.
Sent 11 Sep 1930
3 VHE23620Sent 30 Sep 1930
4 VKE23681Noyes Brothers (Sydney) for Norco Co-op
Ordered 01 Oct 1930
Murwillumbah
Sent 17 Feb 1931.
2 VFE23735AGE Ltd / Noyes Brothers, Brisbane for Emerald Lighting Co
Ordered 8 Dec 1930.
Emerald, Queensland.
Sent 25 Feb 1931
Now at Rockhampton Heritage Village, Queensland, awaiting restoration.
8 VPE23912Casino/Lismore Power Station, NSWSent April 1932. The engine is still at Lismore (2009). As at June 1992 it only needed fuel and a suitable cooling arrangement to make it operational. The only VP/VPE ever built. The cylinder bore is 15.7/8" and the stroke is thought to be 20".
4 VKE23972Noyes Brothers for Norco Co-op.
Ordered 26 Jun 1932
Byron Bay, NSW
Sent 17 Aug 1932.
4VHE24132Norco Butter factory
(factory closed 1975)
Byron Bay, NSW.
Sent 5 Jul 1933
4 VHE24337Noyes Brothers (Sydney) for Millaquin Rum DistilleryBundaberg, Queensland. Sent 20 Jun 1934
Engine still running in 1984; removed 1991/2.
Now owned by Robert Hursthouse of Gin Gin, Queensland

3VH Engine, No 22914, Marrickville Pumping Station

This three-cylinder engine, built in 1928, carries Blackstone branding and was installed at Marrickville Pumping Station in Sydney. Brian Holden emailed in February 2012 to say that while he was doing some work-experience with the then Metropolitan Water, Sewerage and Drainage Board (MWS&DB) in the mid-1960s, the engine was run up every Monday afternoon, whether required or not, as part of a weekly schedule. At that time Marrickville Pumping Station was manned 24 hours a day. The engine was kept in pristine condition. It was direct-coupled to a 12" Briton centifugal pump and would move 10,000 gallons of water (raw sewage diluted with lots of stormwater) per minute over to the Eastern Channel Storm Drain in high rain periods. Brian took some photographs of the engine in about 1970. Since then it has been dismantled and stored on pallets in the old boiler house. When last sighted it was covered with orange plastic sheeting.

4VKE Engines, Nos 23321 and 23501, Port Lincoln Freezing Works

The two 4VKEs at Port Lincoln Freezing Works
Illustration of the two 4VKE engines installed at Port Lincoln Freezing Works,
from a book on lubricating oils published by the Shell Oil Company in the 1930s.
According to the caption under the photograph they were each rated at 240 bhp.

2VFE Engine, No 23735 (1931), Emerald Power Station

Two cylinder VFE engine, No 23735 at Rockhampton

The effects of prolonged exposure to the elements are only too evident in the case of the two cylinder heavy-fuel-oil engine shown on the right. When the picture was taken in November 2001 the engine was standing outside, with the flywheel lying beside it, at Rockhampton Heritage Village (RHV), Queensland, about 150 miles north of Bundaberg. As the maker's plate, carrying the engine's number, had been removed it was not possible to match the engine to a Paxman order until 2010.

In April 2010 an email was received from Ralph Walker, a Friend of the RHV. After becoming involved at the Heritage Village, Ralph covered as much of the engine as he could to protect it from the weather and aimed to get it under cover with a view to restoration. The cylinders have been filled with diesel and oil but Ralph is sure that No 2 cylinder has had a good deal of rain down it in the past. He reports that the oil in the sump is very clean with no sign of water which is encouraging. Also, none of the engine's components appear to be cracked or broken. In April 2010 the engine was moved into a shed, under cover. The RHV management has up to now considered the engine to be for 'static display only', never to be restored. However, there are hopes they may have changed their view and that the engine can be brought back into working order. With this in mind the Paxman Archive Trust has supplied RHV with a copy of the relevant instruction manual for the engine and images of VF and VFE engineering drawings.

The RHV's management has established that the engine, which is believed to have been donated by the Hinz family, came from the power station at Emerald, about 150 miles west of Rockhampton. On the basis of this information, the photographs received in 2002 and a study of Paxman order records, we have no doubt the engine is No 23735, a type VFE of 8½" bore and 12" stroke, built under Paxman Order No 17705 of 8th December 1930. The surviving copy order book shows it was despatched from the Colchester factory on 25th February 1931 to Noyes Bros, Brisbane (Paxman's agent in Australia) for the Emerald Lighting Co. At Emerald the engine was coupled to a Crompton Parkinson shunt wound DC generator and a Crompton Parkinson 3 phase alternator, each designed to run at 500 rpm. Both are now with the engine at RHV and carry Noyes Bros agent's plates. The rating plates show that the DC generator, No F81A557, is rated 35/60 volts, 37 amps and the alternator, No 157465, is rated 50kVA, 50 cycles, 415/440 volts, 69.5 amps.

In December 2015 Ralph Walker emailed to say that what were believed to be the switchboards out of the power station for the Paxman, that were held in a storage yard. They are 2" thick marble and approx. 4ft 6 ns. long One has had a large pipe dropped on it & it is now in 2 pieces ,disappointing, but that can be repaired I guess. I am making arrangements for them to be removed & stored with the paxman.
4VHE Engine, No 24337 - built in 1934

This four cylinder engine was sold through Noyes Brothers of Sydney, possibly through their Brisbane office, to the Millaquin Sugar Company for the Millaquin Rum Distillery at Bundaberg, Queensland. Noyes were also the agents for some of the other engines listed above.

Pictured right is the engine as it was when installed in the engine room at the Millaquin distillery. No 24337 was still in use in 1984 when Tony Marvin visited the plant.
No 24337

No 24337 In a letter published in the April 1992 issue of 'Stationary Engine', Tony reported the engine had recently been removed and was lying outside exposed to the weather. He appealed for some organisation to secure the engine for preservation. Shown here is the engine in the redundant machinery scrap area at Bundaberg.

As at 2010 the engine was owned by Robert Hursthouse, an engine enthusiast, of Gin Gin, Queensland.

4-Cylinder VKE Engine

The four cylinder engine pictured on the right finished its working life at the Webbs Silver Mine, about ten kilometers northwest of Emmaville, near Glen Innes, NSW. It was bought second-hand, taken to the mine in pieces, and re-assembled there in 1940. It possibly came from the Norco Butter factory at Byron Bay about 100 miles away; if so, it is No 23972. The mine closed in 1960.

The pictures, right and below, were taken in the early 1990s. Apparently there were plans to remove the engine to a local museum and set it up on permanent display but as at 2012 it is still where it was installed in 1940.

Emmaville A

Emmaville B

It had been hoped we could establish the engine's number and look up the original order details. Sadly someone has removed the maker's plate which would have had the number stamped on. Consequently it is going to be much more difficult to identify the engine with certainty. If it is not No 23972 then it must be either No 23549, 23617 or 23681. Does anyone out there have any information on where the engine was installed originally? - if so, do please contact me.

In the picture to the left, at the free end, one can see the vertical shaft which drives the camshaft. The latter can be seen just above the staging and above that the large operating levers for the spring injection system.

There were other Ruston horizontal engines in the shed at the mine but these have now gone.

Paxman Heavy Duty Diesel Engines

For a history and description of this type see the page Heavy Duty Diesel Engines. Orders for Paxman Heavy Duty Diesel Engines sent to Australia included the following:

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/End UserLocation/Notes
5 VZ23973Noyes Bros (Brisbane) for Warwick Co-op.Warwick.
Sent 7 Oct 1932.
5 VZ24054Coates & Co Pty Ltd (99 Queen Street, Melbourne C.1) for Sanitarium Health Food Co
Ordered 22 Nov 1932.
Warburton, Victoria. Sent 21 Mar 1933.
As at April 2014, in preservation with the Central Goldfields Historic Machinery Society at Dunolly, Victoria (see history below).
2 VZ24412Coates & Co Pty Ltd.Sent 9 Oct 1934.
4 VZ24413Coates & Co Pty Ltd for Griffith Producers' Co-op Co Ltd, NSW.Sent 2 Oct 1934
Used by the Griffith Producers' Co-op from 1934 to 1965 to power refrigeration plant. Now in preservation at the Pioneer Park Museum, Griffith, NSW.
7 VX24415Flower, Davies & Johnson Ltd for West Australian Newspaper Co.Sent 27 Nov 1934.
3 VZOrder No
18534
Noyes Brothers (Sydney) Ltd 
4 VZOrder No
18595
Noyes Brothers (Sydney) Ltd for
Metropolitan Water Board, Sydney.
 
4 VZOrder No
18596
5 VZ24716Noyes Brothers (Sydney) Ltd for a Public Works Department 
6 VZ24717Noyes Brothers (Sydney) Ltd. 
5 VZOrder No
18689
Noyes Brothers (Sydney) Ltd 
5 VYOrder No
18722
Noyes Brothers (Sydney) Ltd 

Surviving Paxman Heavy Duty Diesel Engines

I am aware of only two surviving Paxman Heavy Duty Diesel engines, both of which are in Australia.

No 24054 - built in 1933

A five cylinder Type VZ engine, No 24054 was ordered in November 1932 by Coates & Co Pty Ltd of Melbourne for the Sanitarium Health Food Company at Warburton, about 40 miles east of Melbourne. Built under Order No 18024, it was despatched from the Colchester factory on 21st March 1933 and had a rating of 125 bhp at 750 rpm. At Warburton the engine ran in parallel with a 350 bhp hydro-electric plant. In a book on lubricating oils, published by the Shell Oil Company in the 1930s, there is a photograph of the engine installed at Sanitarium's factory. The caption underneath includes the words "Coupled to 83 K.W. Lancashire D.C. Generator". The caption under another photograph in the same book notes that the engine is fitted with the Paxman-Bosch Fuel System (which superseded the spring injection system previously used by Paxman on its oil engines). Separate gear pumps supplied oil to the bearings and camshaft and a separate sump was fitted for the camshaft lubrication oil supply. The camshafts were driven by a silent roller chain with automatic tension adjustment.

No 24054 installed at Sanitarium Health Food Co, Warburton
Illustration of No 24054 installed at the Sanitarium Health Food Company, Warburton,
shown in the Shell Oil book mentioned above.

With the help of Terry Jenkins, Barry Cureton and Brian Culley in Australia it has been possible to compile a relatively detailed history of the engine.

Terry Jenkins of Melbourne doggedly pursued enquiries into the local history of the engine. He was eventually successful in tracking down a copy blueprint General Arrangement drawing by Davey Paxman & Co (Colchester) Ltd which is dated 3-12-32 and carries Reference No 20376. The drawing was done for the agents, Messrs Coates & Co Pty Ltd. Terry also managed to find a three page report on the Warburton Hydro Electric Plant dated 14th November 1960. This confirms that the engine was installed in 1933 with a direct coupled 83kW 250 volt DC generator. Sanitarium built a new factory at Warburton in 1937 and the 5VZ was transferred to it in 1938. At this point the DC generator was replaced by an 83kW, 415 volt, 3 phase, 50 cycle alternator. During 1954, after more than twenty years service, the Sanitarium Health Food Company replaced the Paxman 5VZ with an 8 cylinder 420 hp Mirrlees driving a 285 kW alternator.

After being removed from the Sanitarium factory in 1954, the 5VZ and alternator were installed in the Hollandia Shoe factory at Lilydale, on the eastern outskirts of Melbourne, about 22 miles west of Warburton. In late 1981, possibly in December, Barry Cureton removed the generator set, in sections, from the Hollandia factory and took it to his workshop at Croydon. The shoe factory was about to be demolished and the site redeveloped with shops and small factory units. Barry remembers being told at the time that the generator set had been at Warburton previously and that it had been at Lilydale since the mid-1950s. This fits with the information that the engine was replaced at Warburton in 1954.

When Barry took the engine out of the Hollandia factory, it had not run for a while. Some contractors had serviced the engine in mid-1981, after which it was impossible to start. Barry and his colleagues resolved the problems after working out the correct direction of rotation, the firing order (13542 - No 1 nearest flywheel), cam timing and the operating sequence of the Bosch fuel pump. Barry's records show that the engine had air starting and was coupled to a 105 kW, 3 phase, 50 cycle, 180 amp alternator. The 105 kW rating is different from the 83 kW rating, quoted above, of the alternator fitted in 1938. Barry queries whether the quoted 83 kW rating was incorrect and should have read 105 kW.

In mid-1982, after overhaul by Barry and his team, the engine and alternator were installed at a gold mine at Tarnagulla, Victoria, about 100 miles north west of Melbourne. Brian Culley of the Central Goldfields Historic Machinery Society emailed in April 2014, saying that the mining company donated the engine to this society in mid-1995 when the mine closed. At that time the Society had no storage of its own so the engine was stored at a local caravan park until that also closed. Maryborough Council then agreed to keep it at their depot. The picture below is of the engine, coupled to its Lancashire alternator, while stored at Maryborough Council's depot, about 20 miles south of Tarnagulla. Although the maker's plate had been removed, there is no doubt it is No 24054. The fabricated underframe is identical to that in a photograph, taken by Barry, of the engine under load at the gold mine in 1982.

Heavy Duty Diesel, No 24054, at Maryborough
No 24054 while stored at Maryborough Council depot.

Brian Culley reported that as at April 2014 the engine is at the CGHMS's premises at Dunolly, about half-way between Tarnagulla and Maryborough. It is still in the condition seen in the picture above. The good news is that it still turns over but needs some minor work and parts. The Society's plan is to have it running again at some time in the future.


No 24413 - built in 1934

4VZ engine, No 24413To the best of my knowledge, No 24413 is the only surviving Paxman Heavy Duty Diesel Engine still in working order. This four cylinder Type VZ was supplied to the Griffith Producers' Co-op Co Ltd in 1934. Used by the Griffith Producers' Co-op from 1934 to 1965 to power refrigeration plant, it is now in preservation at the Pioneer Park Museum, Griffith, NSW.

Left: No 24413 at Pioneer Park Museum, Griffith, NSW.

RQ, RW, and RX Engines

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/OperatorLocation
2 LRQ540Terania Shire Council 
4 RQ9273Metalcraft EngineeringAlexandria
5 RQ550Chemical Elect CoMascot
6 RQ1460/1Cockatoo DockSydney
6 RQEN/Kin a North British locomotivesomewhere in Northern NSW
4 RW700120/10 *Enterprise FoundrySefton
5 RW5564P.M.GNewtown
5 RW5565P.M.G.Ashfield
5 RWN/KP.M.G.North Sydney
6 RWN/KF Dickin 
6 RW1146Station 2CYCanberra
6 RW6922 *F J PalmerWest Maitland
6 RW6946 *Egg BoardSydney
6 RW7746M.L. EngineeringRedfern
6 RW700251/3Commonwealth Wool & Produce 
6 RW4154 *Metal ProtectorsGranville
6 RWN/KBern Shipping Co 
8 RW1223Dept of NavyHMAS Narimba. This engine was on a cast iron base driving a large Pulsometer pump. Air start. Used initially for emptying dry or floating docks.
6 RX50864Lamport & Holt Ltd."Oakland Star"

[ RQ/RW/RX - descriptions and technical details ]


RPL Engines

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/End UserLocation/Notes
5 RPL700264/2 *Wendouree (Myer's) Woollen MillBallarat, Victoria.
6 RPL000033/4 *Department of Works /
Royal Australian Air Force
Brookvale, NSW
6 RPL700268/2 *Ford MotorsHomebush, NSW
6 RPL700268/3 *David JonesSurry Hills
6 RPLN/K *R B DaviesMarrickville
6 RPLN/K"Morning Star" Gold MineWoods Point, Victoria
6 RPLN/K"Gaffney's Creek" Gold MineGaffney's Creek, Victoria
8 RPL700269/1 *Larke HoskinsSydney

Tony worked on the two gold mine engines in Victoria. He remarks that they had bad fuel problems in 1947 because "we got a lot of rubbish in fuel in those days".

The 5RPL listed in the above table was purchased in September 2003 by Terry Jenkins of Melbourne for restoration and preservation. A naturally-aspirated engine with a rating of 56 bhp per cylinder at 600 rpm, Engine No 700264/2 Serial No 586, weighs 7¾ tons (7,891 kg). It was originally purchased by Wendouree (northern suburb) Woollen Mill, Ballarat, Victoria, known locally as Myer's Woollen Mill. The operator's manual for this engine was issued on 27 April 1951.

The 6RPL, No 000033/4, is believed to have been built in 1951. The generator set was purchased from the Royal Australian Air Force at 'Beacon Hill' near Brookvale, North Sydney by Pemara Packing for Aus$18,000 in 1974-5. It was shipped by road to Melbourne and installed at Pemara's 35 Henderson Road, Clayton North plant until 1982 when the factory and generator were moved to 274 Ferntree Gully Road, Notting Hill, about a mile away. In the 1990s the engine failed after lubricating oil was contaminated by water leaking from cylinder seals resulting in damage to bearings and crankshaft. Macfarlane Generators were called in to quote on repairs but no work was put in hand. The unit was eventually given to the Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Association Inc who shipped it to Lake Goldsmith, west of Ballarat. The engine was purchased by Terry Jenkins (who also owns the 5RPL described above) in late 2003. With the help of some friends, Terry undertook the major logistical task of moving the unit, at the end of February 2004, nearer his home in Melbourne ready for restoration work to be carried out.

[ RPL - description and technical details ]


RPH Engines - 6 Cylinder

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/End UserLocation/Notes
6 RPH50933Australian PetroleumPort Moresby
6 RPH50934/5/6/7
4 engines
Australian PetroleumAramia
6 RPH50938Australian PetroleumPort Moresby
6 RPH
Series II
400014/29A.W.A.Gore Hill

[ RPH - description and technical details ]


RPH Engines (Z = Marine Auxiliary)

The following details were copied from Tony Marvin's old record book. All the engines in this table are pre-1960.

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/End UserLocation/Notes
12 RPH000046/33 ZRoyal Australian Navy"Arunta"
12 RPH000046/44 ZRoyal Australian Navy"Arunta"
12 RPH000046/47 ZRoyal Australian Navy"Queenborough"
12 RPH000046/75/6/7 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPH000046/88 ZRoyal Australian Navy"Warramunga"
12 RPH000046/92 ZRoyal Australian Navy"Warramunga"
12 RPH700196/9 *Glen Innes Municipal CouncilNSW
12 RPH700198/40 *Metters LtdAlexandria
12 RPH700260/22 *Australian PetroleumOmati
12 RPH700260/24 *Australian PetroleumOmati
12 RPH800045/4 *Metters LtdAlexandria
12 RPH900001/24 *Metters Ltd 
12 RPH900001/25A.G.E.Auburn
12 RPH900001/26Coconut ProductsRabaul
12 RPH900001/28/9 *Metters Ltd 
12 RPH900001/30Coconut ProductsRabaul
12 RPH900001/38 *Ford ManufacturingHomebush
12 RPH900001/41 *A.G.E.Auburn
12 RPHDP52912-3 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP52381-2-3 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP52387/8/9 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP52200 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP52090-1-2 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP51967/8/9 ZRoyal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP52258/9Royal Australian Navy 
12 RPHDP52260/1/2Royal Australian Navy 
12 YHAZDP53755/7Royal Australian Navy 

All the Metters' engines were later bought by The 600 Group (George Cohen Sons & Co) and resold overseas.

Bob Mills took delivery of No 700196/9 in spring 2005. Geoff Swilks had acquired it previously about 17 years ago from Ashford Power Station to power the induction furnace at his foundry, north of Armidale. Geoff decommissioned it as it had insufficient power and was expensive to run, after which the engine stood outside for about 15 years. Bob is confident of getting it running again with a minimum of work despite the fact it was seized when he took delivery. Paxman records show that this engine is an RPH Series I which was built by Paxman into a 330 kVA generator set with a BTH alternator. It was ordered on 28th June 1948 by Ruston & Hornsby, Brisbane, through Ruston & Hornsby, Lincoln. It was despatched on 11th March 1949 and the eventual customer is recorded as Glen Innes Municipal Council, NSW. The contract records say the engine was to be reconditioned to "as new standards" which would imply that it was built from a 12TP engine as were many other RPH Series I engines. It is not recorded which 12TP engine was used or what its previous history was.

RPH Series I

Engine TypeNumberCustomer/End UserLocation/Notes
12 TPM
2 engines
900001/30Coconut ProductsRabaul. (The TP was Paxman's wartime engine from which the RPH was developed.)
12 RPH900001/45Royal Australian Navy"Voyager"
12 RPH900001/46Royal Australian Navy"Voyager"
12 RPH900001/47Royal Australian Navy"Voyager"
12 RPH000046/45Royal Australian Navy"Queenborough"
12 RPH000046/46Royal Australian Navy"Queenborough"
12 RPH000046/48Royal Australian Navy"Quadrant"
12 RPH000046/49Royal Australian Navy"Quadrant"
12 RPH000046/50Royal Australian Navy"Quadrant"
12 RPH000046/89Royal Australian Navy"Quick Match"
12 RPH000046/124Royal Australian Navy"Quick Match"
12 RPH000046/125Royal Australian Navy"Quick Match"
12 RPH000035/9Royal Australian Navy(not in use)
12 RPH000035/10Royal Australian Navy(not in use)
12 RPH000035/11Royal Australian Navy(not in use)


RPH Series II Engines in NSW 41 Class Locomotives

NSW 41 Class LocoInformation on the locomotive engines listed in the table below was supplied to Tony Marvin on 21st November 1956 by Mr Jack Lewis, Chief Engineer, New South Wales Government Railways. The engines, each rated 500 bhp at 1,250 rpm, were fitted in ten heavy Bo-Bo twin-engined diesel-electric shunters. These NSW 41 Class locomotives were built by Metro-Cammell for British Thomson-Houston and introduced in 1953-54 to handle freight transfer traffic in the Sydney area. They were not a great success and all were scrapped except No 4102 which has been preserved at the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum, Thirlmere. Information about 41 Class locomotives and No 4102 can be found on the museum's website at www.nswrtm.org/exhibits/the_exhibits/4102.html.

Engine TypeLoco Number"A" End"B" End
12 RPHL4101000023/3000023/4
12 RPHL4102000023/2000023/7
12 RPHL4103000023/23000023/1
12 RPHL4104000023/8000023/22
12 RPHL4105000023/5000023/6
12 RPHL4106000023/14000023/19
12 RPHL4107000023/20000023/9
12 RPHL4108000023/13000023/21
12 RPHL4109000023/18000023/10
12 RPHL4110000023/17000023/24
12 RPHLspare000021/18 

A 12RPHL engine for rail traction, No 500014, was also supplied to A.W.A. at Gore Hill.


Ventura and YH

The Metcentre, at 60 Margaret Street, Sydney, has a Paxman Ventura and a YH engine driving MacFarlane alternators to supply emergency power to the building. (There is no public access to the generator sets for obvious safety reasons.) The turbo-charged Vee 12 engines were installed in 1976/77 by Stone Platt Electrical of Victoria.

The Ventura 12YJC is rated at 1,400 bhp at 1,500 rpm, and the 12YHC at 1,050 bhp at 1,500 rpm. Both are still going strong after quarter of a century's service.

Valenta and VP185 Engines for Rail Traction

Paxman supplied a total of twenty four 12 cylinder Valenta engines for the XPT (Express Passenger Train) power cars introduced into regular service by the State Rail Authority (SRA) of New South Wales in 1982. The trains proved highly successful and four more engines were ordered in 1990 for four additional power cars. For more details see the Diesel Rail Traction page.

The power cars have now been re-engined with the Valenta's successor, Paxman's 12 cylinder VP185 engine.


Page updated: 28 APR 2014